Facebook is constantly changing, causing frustration for the users. While I have somewhat adapted to the Timeline changes, I still find myself wishing for certain features to be returned (to myself).
I use Facebook for a multitude of activities. From the truly social aspect with friends and family to following my favorite brands and blogs as well as what some of you might consider those pesky Facebook games as well as interacting in Facebook groups. As a result, I find Facebook to be cluttered and hard to navigate if you’re trying to focus on a specific task, such as weeding out the people you know. Facebook has made some positive changes that allow you to do so, but I still felt like something was missing.
Somehow, I managed to catch a human post on my feed today about Social Fixer for Facebook, formerly known as Better Facebook. It was simply a rave about the product with very little detail only citing that it made Facebook…better. Naturally, I was curious so I searched the web.
After locating the site and quickly reading about it, I almost felt like I heard the sound of Angels! I’m a computer junkie and I spent a LOT of time on Facebook. In other words, if I’m awake, I probably have Facebook up at all times and refer to it quite often for all of the aforementioned reasons, including “research” for Melissa Say What?
I quickly downloaded the browser plugin for Google Chrome. There are also plugins available for Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Opera 11 and Grease-Monkey. There are no plans to support Internet Explorer (or Internet Exploder as I like to call it). Upon installation, I was prompted to select either the default settings or custom settings. I chose the default. One quick page refresh and I have an all new Facebook. Not only is does it bring back former features, but it adds a slew of new features.
Below are the features I find to be most beneficial:
- Feed sorting is defaulted to Most Recent (instead of randomly reverting back to Top Stories)
- You can turn the pesky chat sidebar off and revert to the old style pop-out chat
- A scrolling sidebar of all the pages you like appears on the left hand side
- A scrolling sidebar of all of the groups you are a member of appears on the left hand side
- Tabbed news feeds automatically segregate post types. This function is also HIGHLY customizable.
- You can choose specific people, pages or apps to segregate in multiple tabs.
- You can choose to have static or dynamic tabs
- Post marking
- Mark posts as read and hide it until/unless new comments are posted
- Mark posts as read and mute any future comments
- Friend Tracker: Receive notifications when someone un-friends you.
- Automatic retrieval of “older posts” based on user-defined criteria
- Notifications in the right hand side bar (optional)
- FLOATING REPLIES: This is the bomb-diggity. If you’re replying to a comment on a Facebook post, instead of replying and tagging an individual or page, you can hit reply on the specific post and Social Fixer will automatically tag the party you are replying to. This is especially helpful, if the user is not a Facebook friend. You can also set it so that it tags the first name only instead of the first and last names! LOVE IT!
Social Fixer is packed with many more features and customization options. I strongly encourage you to check it out! If you don’t like it, you can simply uninstall it!