It was just yesterday that I was sharing my experience of “cutting the cord” with my mother. It was almost a year ago that I cut the cord. I can’t say that it was something that I was looking forward to, but now that I’m cable free for almost a year, I feel FREE!! I bet you thought I was talking about the umbilical cord for a minute!
Well, Clark Howard beat me to the punch! Check out this brief video of Clark’s thoughts on “Cutting the Cord”
In my opinion, it doesn’t matter how much or how little money you make. The amount of money spent on cable TV is exorbitant. I was paying around $180 for Cable TV, Phone and Internet. I didn’t need the phone, but I found that when I purchased these services separately, the cost was actually HIGHER than without the phone.
Now, I have an HD Digital Antenna(One time $30), Clear Wireless Internet ($50/month), Hulu Plus($8.00/month) and Netflix ($17.00/month for streaming + 1 DVD/Blu-Ray). While I don’t have a home phone, I’m saving over $100 per month. My cell phone does the trick, especially for the amount of money I pay.
When I say “way back” that means I met Mario Lopez once and it was basically for a photo opp and autograph. It was at the Atlanta Boat Show sometime between 1992 and 1994 with a long, lost friend Nicole. To me and my peers, Mario Lopez was best known for his role in Saved by The Bell.
That’s the ONLY stint I had at meeting a celebrity other than the possible meeting of stars I did not recognize during the NBA All-Stars circa 2002-2003. I attended a private party at a nightclub in Atlanta. I’m not a basketball fan so I wouldn’t have recognized anyone to save my life and
possibly insulted someones jacket. This was when the destroyed look was popular and I just didn’t get it. Maybe it’s because I was a child of the 80′s and 90′s where we destroyed our own jeans with holes in the knees etc, without paying exorbitant amounts of money for them.
I guess you might also consider a recent meeting with Dan Reeves, former NFL star of the Denver Broncos, New York Giants, Atlanta Falcons and Dallas Cowboys. He was a motivational speaker at an April 2012 Southeastern Fastener Show Conference in Birmingham, AL. He was indeed motivational and it was interesting to hear a bit of his life story intertwined, but there was no hand shake and there was no autograph. Typing it out I kinda feel like a bad mama. I could have gotten an autograph for my son. Oh wait, he doesn’t do voice overlays for video games….OR DOES HE? (Nope).
One might say I’m not intimidated by celebrity status. After all, they are human, too. I might melt if I met someone like Madonna or Eminem just because I admire what they’ve done in the music industry, despite the controversy.
Have you ever met a celebrity?
This post was brought to you by the Autumn Blog Challenge.
Read about more celebrity encounters from fellow bloggers by clicking the links below.
Michael Clarke Duncan passed away this evening. He was widely known for his role in The Green Mile. I’ve yet to see this movie, but I have seen him in many other roles.
If you’ve not had the chance to experience Mr. Duncan’s powerful acting skills, I encourage to celebrate his life by checking out a few of the flicks he has appeared in. I definitely plan on watching The Green Mile, finally!
Believe it or not, you might him from appearances in The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, the voice of Commander Vachir in Kung Fu Panda, the voice of Benjamin King in Saints Row (video game), the voice of Clydesdale in Racing Stripes and more family/kid/teen related roles.
For a complete filmography head over to IMDB.
I always like reading bios of actors and actresses when I watch movies. For me I find it fascinating.
Here are a few facts about Michael’s life.
- He had 5 cats and a chinchilla.
- He was a blue belt in Brazilian JuJutsu.
- Has appeared in 4 films with Bruce Willis: Armageddon (1998), Breakfast of Champions (1999), The Whole Nine Yards (2000) and Sin City(2005).
- He wanted to play football in high school, but his mother would not let him, fearing he would get hurt. He then turned to acting.
- What Would You DO With $500 Extra Cash? May 21, 2013
- Tackling The Email Abyss May 19, 2013
- I’m Renaming My Son “HUNGRY” May 21, 2013
- A Waterpark In Your Own Backyard May 10, 2013
- Why Is There A Warning Label On My Toothpaste? May 16, 2013
- 24 Hours of Printables: Save Money! May 23, 2013
- Ain’t Nobody Got Time For That May 22, 2013
- Happy Birthday Geminis! May 22, 2013
- 24 Hours of Printables: Save Money! May 22, 2013
- 24 Hours of Printables: Save Money! May 21, 2013
- melissasaywhat: Caro - I have a dream of a DSLR one day, too! We'...
- Caro: If I won, I would buy a DSLR. I enjoy photography ...
- Sharon Fitzgerald: Hey Melissa! Great! I'm looking forward to it a...
- melissasaywhat: Thanks for stopping by, hun! You would LOVE this. ...
- Sharon Fitzgerald: Wow Melissa! This is cool! This might make it ea...